Friday, November 16, 2007

Gun Control At Its Best

I couldn’t agree more that guns should not be allowed in classrooms, and not just because of the stupidity of the wielders.
One problem is that today’s young adults are looking up to gangsters more and more. Merchandise for Al Capone and Scarface are very popular at various retailers. Chances are if you held up a picture Thomas Jefferson and a picture of Al Pachino as Scarface in front of a typical high school student, they would only be able to name one of them. And which would that be? I work at 2 different businesses where items carrying any gangster related logos or symbols are the hot sellers. Would I trust any of the customers there with a gun? Not a chance.
Another problem is that illnesses such as depression, bipolar disorder, and Attention Deficit Disorder have become increasingly prevalent. If one of them happened to be that “one” that managed to obtain a license, trouble would most definitely ensue. I don’t put too much faith in these tests because they can’t guarantee the licensee is completely sane or “right” in the head. I think the entire nation would deeply regret allowing students to carry guns into classrooms.


College Students Allowed to Carry Guns to Class

1 comment:

Brian said...

It seems like I have to join the minority on this issue and say why I believe colleges all over the States should allow guns on campus. Many of my peers have written on why they believe it is just "outright foolish" to allow students to carry guns. Now don't get me wrong, I believe ACC has every right to tell me that I can't bring a gun onto their property. If I really don't like it I can leave. My contention is that it is in their best interest to allow students and especially professors and staff members to carry the tools to defend themselves.

Have we learned nothing from the Virginia Tech shootings? There was an outright gun ban on campus, and because of that, when a deranged student, by the name of Seung-Hui Cho, snapped and started shooting, everyone else was defenseless. Had a responsible gun-owner been at the scene, Cho would have gotten maybe three people, rather than thirty. I find it ironic that terrible shootings such as this never happen at a rifle range where people can defend themselves. Massacres tend to occur where people are defenseless.

People these days seem to automatically associate guns with chaos; probably because of selective media coverage. The fact of the matter is that guns are not weapons of chaos, but rather tools of force. Like any tool of force, weather it be a hammer or an AK-47, guns can be used for good or bad. However, statistics consistently reveal that guns are more frequently used to prevent rather than perpetrate crimes. A good friend of mine, whose self-proclaimed specialty is gun control, wrote on ShaunConnell [dot] com that subtracting the number of crimes committed with firearms from the number of people who use these weapons to stop crimes yields a positive result of 1.8 Million (with a big M) crimes stopped per year.

I am not advocating that everyone should carry a gun, just that it would be in any college's best interest to allow people to defend themselves. The first step in doing so is allowing them to carry the "tools."